Polycrylic is very commonly used as a protective finish for cornhole boards. This clear, water based finish will protect your decals, artwork, or paint job, while retaining the original colors. It also gives the boards a great shine and perfect slickness.
From the Minwax Website
Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish is a crystal clear, fast-drying protective topcoat for use over bare wood, oil- and water-based stains, paint and wallpaper. It has very little odor, is non-flammable, cleans up easily with soap and water, and can be recoated in only 2 hours. Minwax® Polycrylic® resists damage from abrasion, scuffing, chipping, water, alcohol and other common household chemicals.
Minwax® Polycrylic® is not recommended for use on floors.
- Sheens: Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Satin
- Application tool: synthetic bristle brush
- Location: interior wood surfaces
- Dry time: 2 hours
- Recoat: after 2 hours
- Cleanup: warm water
- Coverage: 125 sq. ft. per quart
- Coats: 2-3
- Recommended uses: woodwork, cabinets, furniture, interior doors, accessories
- VOC content: maximum VOC of 275 g/L
- Availability: currently available nationally
- Surface must be dry and free of wax, grease, polish, old finishes in poor condition or any foreign matter.
- Sand to a smooth, uniform surface. DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL. Remove dust with a cloth dampened with water or mineral spirits. Let dry completely.
- If desired, apply Minwax® Wood Finish™ or Minwax® Water-Based Wood Stain to unfinished interior wood surfaces following label directions. Wait at least 24 hours before applying Polycrylic® over Minwax® Wood Finish™.
- Stir well before and regularly during use. DO NOT SHAKE. FINISH APPEARS MILKY IN CAN BUT DRIES CRYSTAL CLEAR.
- Apply a thin coat of Polycrylic® with a high-quality synthetic bristle brush. Apply in one direction with the grain. Do not overbrush.
- Let dry at least 2 hours then sand with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats. Do not use steel wool. Remove all dust.
- Apply second coat. For additional coats, repeat Step 6 before applying. Three coats are recommended.
- After final coat, allow 3 hours before light handling and 24 hours before normal use.
Information taken from the Minwax website at http://www.minwax.com/products/water_based_clear_protective_finishes/polycrylic_protective_finish.html